DOIN’ IT IN THE PARK: PICK-UP BASKETBALL, NYC explores the history, culture and social impact of New York’s summer b-ball scene, the worldwide “Mecca” of the sport.
In New York City, pick-up is not just a sport. It is a way of life. There are 700+ outdoor courts, and an estimated 500,000 players, the most loyal of which approach the game as a religion, and the playground as their church. “You can play high school or college for four years. You can play pro for a decade. You can play pick-up... for life.”
DOIN’ IT IN THE PARK lovingly uncovers this movement through the voices of playground legends, NBA athletes, and most importantly the common man and woman, including those incarcerated and handicapped, who loyally look forward to experiencing the raw energy of the game at their local outdoor court.
Co-directors Bobbito Garcia and Kevin Couliau visited 180 courts throughout NYC’s five boroughs within 75 hot summer days to create their debut documentary. The filmmakers traveled to a majority of the locations by bicycle, carrying cameras and a ball in their backpacks. The film’s title refers as much to the subject matter as it does to the method of filmmaking, providing an unprecedented perspective on America’s most popular, and accessible, free recreation.
- AUDIENCE AWARD FOR BEST FEATURE @ 2012 URBANWORLD FILM FESTIVAL
- BEST DOCUMENTARY AWARD @ 2012 NEW JERSEY INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL
- MUSIC BY EDDIE PALMIERI, THE BLACKBYRDS, THE ROOTS, JURASSIC 5, QUANTIC, 20SYL, BUDOS BAND, & ANTIBALAS
- SUBTITLED IN 12 LANGUAGES INCLUDING ENGLISH, FRENCH, SPANISH, ITALIAN, PORTUGUESE, JAPANESE, CHINESE, GERMAN & DUTCH
- BONUS FEATURES INCLUDING OFFICIAL TRAILER & “MAKING OF” VIDEOS
“AN EXUBERANT INTRODUCTION TO THE RICH LORE OF THE CITY GAME” NEW YORK TIMES
“ONE OF THE GREATEST SPORTS DOCUMENTARIES OF ALL-TIME!” COMPLEX MAGAZINE
DVD / HD / COLOR - 83 MIN. RUNTIME